Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Juluis Caesar: Act I, Scene II

Over the past two days, we have been reading Act I, Scene II of Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare. We are still in the early stages of the play, so it is essential that you understand everything that is going on in the play. Please note: after today’s lesson, we will be moving quite quickly through the play!

Today you will have 2 goals for your blog entry:


  • To decide and explain which Rhetorical Appeal that Cassius used best

  • To summarize Julius Caesar, Act I Scene II

Rubric for Analysis of Cassius Speech/Summary of Act I, Scene II:
Proficient – analysis of Cassius’s speech demonstrates mastery of the three rhetorical appeals, analysis is supported by textual evidence and all sentences are effectively written. Summary of Act I, Scene II is coherently written, contains all major elements of the scene, and does not add in unnecessary details.

15 comments:

chris cartwright said...

caccius uses ethos and logos. the reason y i know this is because is the when he is talkin to brutus he is very emotional with his phrases and sentences.

Summary of act scene 2
basically it involves caccius and brutus talking, caccius is trying to convince brutus on brtraying ceasar. saying that why should cascar's name should be more god like then yours. your name is just the same as his. and also caccuis was saying that casear isnt much of a god then man. caccius says that him and casear were swimming in a rushing river up stream and hen casear was tired caccius had to pull his tired body out of the water.

Anonymous said...

I think that he uses ethos the most. In every verse that he talks in some way he refers to trust. In this scene a man warns caeser of march 15 , but when brutas and cassius , cassius tries to convience brutas to betray caeser and trust him . Cassius is crazy about power and honor, he rather have honor then die.

jaslyn lopez said...

cassius best used the rhetorical appeal of ethos. mainly because he was trying to get brutus to be on his side and persuade him that they are friends and that brutus can trust cassius. also to get brutus to try to trust him so that he can betray him later on. so ethos would be best because it appelas to the self. in which cassius uses perfectly to convince brutus that cassius will "never" betray him.

Amber said...

I can honestly say I believe this is ethos. Casius is trying to persuade snd make Brutus trust him. Which in the story Brutus starts to Believe in what Casius is saying. Ethos is trust and persuading people and thats pretty much what Casius was trying to do to Brutus.

In act 1 scene 2 Cassius was pretty much trying to persuade Brutus to do something he should not be doing! They are trying to make Brutus think he is just as good as Ceaser. Brutus had to be persuaded to go againest Ceaser because he knows what he shouldnt be doing. Casius is trying to make brutus trust him and not Ceaser pretty much! At the end Casuis's job works and Brutus believes him.

Jay Brown said...

In Act 1, Scene 2 of the play "Julius Ceasar" the character Cassius tries to pursuade Brutus to revolt against Ceasar. He argues that Ceasar has too much power and influence over the people of Rome. He asks: "What is so special about Ceasar???... Yours is just as good a name..." In all honesty I think he has a point, Brutus and Ceasar are pretty much equal but Ceasar is just more popular. On the other hand< I feel like Cassius is just jelous and looking for a reason to knock Ceasar off his high-horse.

Cassius uses Ethos as a way to convince Brutus that he is trustworthy and just trying to help. He also uses Logos in order to make his words sensible so it will be hard to find fault in them. When its all said and done, Cassius is just manipulative and I've grown to strongly dislike his character.

mere said...

i think that he uses ethos the most because he is trying to persuade by saying that he want him to trust him to believe him about caesar having too much power and him living in the shadow of caesar. summary is that brutius and cassieus are having a conversatoin about caesar having too much power and he is trying to manipulate cassieus mind to kill caesar . theme is : jealously .

dresha :) said...

I say this is ethos and pathos. I chose pathos and ethos because in this play it seems to have alot of emotions between the men and also a trust issue. With the trust issue Cassius is trying to get Brutus to trust him and to get him to believe him. He`s also trying to show Brutus that turning his back on Ceasar is the best thing to do. Theres emotion in this too because like Brutus said in the play he has alot of love for Ceasar even though he doesnt want him to be king.


Cassius is trying to persuade or convince Brutus to turn his back on Ceasar. Cassius is also telling all these things about himself. He tries to make Brutus feel good and make him feel maybe even better then Ceasar. It also seems like Brutus doesnt want Caesar to be king but his love for him i guess means more. And Brutus also has a sense of what Cassius is trying to do.

Sierra Jennings said...

In the play Jiluis Caesar,
Cassius is trying to get Brutus to go asainst caesar. He is trying to get Brutus to understand that he is just as good as caesar if not better. In the story Cassius says " Why should that name be proclaimed more than yours? Write them together-your is just as good a name. Pronounce them-it is just as nice to say. Weigh them-it's just as heavy.That line in the play showed me that Cassius was trying to manipulate Brutus to believe what he believes. I think in the story Cassius is using Pathos more because he is trying to make Brutus FEEL a different toward Caesar. Cassius is trying to make Brutus mave a chance of heart.

Al-Derae Boyd said...

I think Caesar use alot of pathos because he likes showing and telling his emotions. One example of pathos he used in the story was " You seem less good-natured and affectionate toward me than usual". In this example he means that Brutus used to pay more attention and love towards him but now he doesn't.

My summary about the story is that so far cesar has just returned and everybody is happy, but there are still people that are not happy because of march 15.

mariana sanchez said...

I think that ceasar use alot of logos because he wants people to trust him and he says things that really make sense and he adds evidence to everything that he know's is right. So on my opinion is that Ceasar use alot of logos and logic.
My summery about the story is that caeser has just return snd everyone is really happy. But theirs some people that are not happy because they should be celebreating march 15 but their's to happy that ceasar is back. cassious is jelous of ceasar because he want power and he cant have it . caesar honers power so people dont like ceasr as queen.

Unknown said...

Cassius uses pathos more than anything else. HE uses this because he wants brutus to get real emotional.
"Brutus, I misunderstood your feelings, and therefore kept to yself certain thoughts I might have shared. Tell me, good Brutus, csn you see your face?" - Pathos
"I'd rather not live at all than live to worship a man as ordinary as myself. I was born as free as Caesar. So were you. We both have eaten as well, and we can both endure the cold winter as well as he. Once, on cold and windy day, when the river Tiber was crashing against its banks, Caesar said to me, "Cassius, I dare you to jump into this rough water with me and swim to that point there." - Ethos
"I'm glad that my weak words have provoked even this small show of protest from you." - Logos

Chavonne said...

I think Cassius use's more of Ethos more then the others. He try's to make Brutus feel bad. So he says things such as "I'd rather not live at all than live to worship a man as ordinary as myself." I think he means to say is that Ceaser is no more then a man then Cassius is. So why should he have to worship him, when he's getting no worship at all. Hmm Makes you think right?.

The theme of this story to me is about power and jealousy. He is jealous of Ceaser and how much power he has over his world.

mike o'shea said...

pathos because he is trying to envoke outrage towards ceaser because he is saying brutus is just as great as ceaser

cassius is trying to manipulate brutus

stephcruz said...

Ethos because he is trying to appeal to him snd he trying to mske him trust him. When he shouldnt cause he want to have all power like Caesar. Caesar rules like a king which Cassius wants so bad to do.Evidence for the text is that " I ask you as a friend".



Cassius Is Trying to make Brutus feel bad for him and trade his back on Caesar.

stephanie Cruz said...

Ethos is better to describe this scene because he is trying to appeal to him and he is making him trust him. When he shouldn't because he want to have all power like Caesar. Caesar rules like a king which Cassius wants so bad to do.Evidence from the text is that " I ask you as a friend". This is ethos because he is sayng you are my friend, he just trying to make Brutus be against Caesar.


In the beginning there was this strange man saying "beware march 15".As Caesar walked around the castle he seen Brutus and Cassius,he talks to antony and says "Look at this hungry man".
Cassius Is Trying to make Brutus feel bad for him and turn his back on Caesar. As Brutus leaves Cassius thinks he have brutus on the palm of his hands,when he was talking to him self and he said he will soon have power over everyone.